Saturday, November 30, 2013

Literacy in the Social Sciences

Throughout my k-12 education career I never realized how classes teach overlapping topics. This became brutally obvious after this semester when I was able to analyze how reading and student literacy is a working progress in every class. Whether it is helping students summarize texts to helping them learn without using texts, student literacy will be included in every classroom.  Without aiding the students in reading and literacy the students will not be able to efficiently analyze and comprehend the content in social studies.

When a teacher is creating a lesson they must take this into account, because without understanding the students prior reading experiences and abilities the students may seem unprepared for the content.  If students seem to be lagging behind other students it may be beneficial for the teacher to include visual cues that may help the student understand certain situations that may be complicated in text.  I did this in my 10 lesson during the Jig-Saw lesson, where I included a visual to help explain how the alliance system help cause World War I.  A good blog where I found lesson plan ideas for teachers is at New York Times, it gives a variety of topics and events to choose from.  In making the lesson plan teachers must include literacy growth from the begining of the unit until the end and the assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment